Identify Stinging Pests in Richmond
These aggressive hornets have a distinct white face with a mostly black body and are an inch in length. You’ll find their paper-like nests in trees and occasionally in large shrubs.
Yellowjackets have a black face and a distinctive black and yellow pattern on the rest of their body. Their nests are located either underground or heavily protected areas above ground.
Their name comes from their unique nests, which are made from plant materials mixed with their saliva that forms a paper-like material. Paper wasps have a brown-red coloration with yellow markings along their abdomen. You’ll find their nests in exposed, but sheltered locations like door frames, outdoor sheds, roof eaves, and windowsills.
Also known as brown hornets or giant hornets, these insects are brown or yellow in color and have a pale face. They usually nest in hollow trees, hollow walls, barns, attics, or abandoned bee nests.
Similar to hornets, cicada killers have black and yellow stripes on their entire bodies and have distinctive pale red or orange legs. They usually nest in underground tunnels.
These small wasps have small brown or black bodies, yellow limbs, and two wings and are thin in appearance. Mud Daubers are solitary wasps that build individual nests from mud underneath porches or eaves or in garage or attic space.
Want to learn more? Visit our pest library to learn about other common pests.
If you see a wasp or hornet nest on your property, it’s recommended to seek out wasp control in Richmond, VA. However, there are a few things you can do at home to prevent stinging pests from invading your home or business, including:
- Seal cracks and crevices. Ensure any access to your home is sealed and you’re regularly inspecting your property for signs of nests.
- Cover food. Most stinging insects are attracted to exposed food or open garbage cans. Make sure all food is covered and properly disposed of.
- Wear less perfume. Try to avoid sweet-smelling perfumes, cologne, lotions, or shampoos, as they attract wasps and hornets.
- Change your wardrobe. Avoid wearing dark colors or florals since these patterns can attract stinging insects.
- Stay calm. Don’t swat or flail at wasps or hornets as this can aggravate them. Back away slowly from the area, stay calm, and they should fly away.
- Contact a professional. If you’ve done all you can to eliminate stinging pests, you may want to contact a bee or wasp exterminator in Richmond, VA. With professional wasp removal in Richmond, VA, you can feel secure that bees are safely eliminated and stopped from returning to your home.
Looking for a Wasp and Bee Exterminator in Richmond, VA?
While stinging insects are helpful to the environment, when they invade your property, they become dangerous. To ensure nests are safely removed and preventative measures are taken, contact Evergreen Pest Control. We provide professional, long-lasting wasp and bee removal in Richmond at a budget-friendly price. Contact us today to learn more about our services.